The issue of delayed license issuance has recently been brought to our attention. The GDA State Licensure Liaison attended the Licensure Board Meeting on October 1, 2010 and learned the following:
Provisional Licenses: Delays in issuance of Provisional Licenses may be due to heavy submission of applicants in May, June and July, due to recent graduates. Delays may also be caused when the application is incomplete or disciplinary actions are being investigated. Additionally, there have recently been problems with Provisional Licenses not being displayed as complete on the website and with printing the physical licenses. The board continues to work on these issues.
Regular Licenses: There is a 7 day turnaround from the day the application fee is processed until issuance of the license. Although multiple state licensure boards are now combined, this should not affect licensure processing.
Be aware of the licensure law that exists in this state. You must be a Licensed Registered Dietitian to practice Dietetics in the state of Georgia.
All licenses to practice Dietetics in Georgia will be up for renewal in 2012. In the meantime, keep your name and address up to date with the Licensure Board and be sure to accumulate and document the required 30 hours of CE hours.
The following is an excerpt of the Georgia Law regarding Licensure for a Registered Dietitian. Read carefully and be aware of “D” and “E”. You need to be licensed when you perform one or more of the following activities.
4) 'Dietetic practice' or 'dietetics' means the integration and application for compensation of principles derived from the sciences of nutrition, biochemistry, food, physiology, management, and behavioral and social sciences to achieve and maintain client health through the provision of nutrition care services, which shall include:
(A) Assessing the nutritional needs of individuals and group based upon appropriate biochemical, anthropometric, physical, and dietary data to determine nutrient needs and recommend appropriate intake including enteral and parenteral nutrition;
(B) Establishing priorities, goals, and objectives which meet nutritional needs and are consistent with available resources;
(C) Providing dietetic nutrition counseling by advising and assisting individuals or groups on appropriate nutritional intake by integrating information from the nutritional assessment with information on food and other sources of nutrients and meal preparation consistent with cultural background and socioeconomic status;
(D) Developing, implementing, and managing nutrition care delivery systems; and
(E) Evaluating, making changes in, and maintaining standards of quality in food and nutrition care services.
Visit http://www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/dietitians to find additional information on:
Georgia Law; Board Rules; available forms; license verification; on-line license renewal; Frequently Asked Questions; and go to the link at the end of question 15 to find information about acceptable CPE activities. More questions? You may also call the licensure board at 478.207.2440.
You will receive a “reminder postcard” around the end of January/first of February regarding your licensure renewal. Here is some information that might help you move through the process in a smoother manner.
1. RENEW BY MAIL OR ONLINE: You will be able to renew by:
• Calling the number on the reminder postcard and requesting a “paper” renewal coupon be mailed to you. Fill out the renewal application form that is sent to you and send it back, postmarked no later than 3/31/12, with a check or money order; OR
• Renew online with a credit card by 3/31/12.
YOU MAY NOT PRACTICE DIETETICS IN GEORGIA WITHOUT AN ACTIVE LICENSE.
2. MOVED? If you have moved, you can still change your address on-line. Licensure renewal notices are sent to the last known address the board has in the computer system and by law cannot be forwarded by the Post Office to a new address. You do not need the postcard in order to renew your license, so please do not wait for it (just in case you don't receive one for whatever reason).
NOTE: You must provide an address change to the Board within thirty (30) days of the change. It is YOUR responsibility to report address changes to the Board.
3. NAME CHANGE? If you have a name change not reported to the Board before your renewal and you want the new name on your licensure pocket card: Request a mail-in application by calling the number on the postcard. Once you receive an application, send in a COPY (originals will not be returned) of your divorce decree, marriage license or official name change (a copy of a SS card will not suffice for a name change) along with your renewal application and the appropriate renewal fee. These documents must show the name change. For more information call the Board office at 478.207.2440.
4. FORGET TO RENEW? If you do not renew by 3/31/12, and you continue to work, you will be considered practicing without a license. You are also subject to fines if you practice without a license after 3/31/12. If your license lapses, you must apply for reinstatement and provide all documentation and verifications to the Board. See: http://www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/dietitians for a reinstatement application.
5. CONTINUING EDUCATION: You are required to have 30 hours of CE hours in the last 2 years. You do not need to send in proof of your continuing education but be prepared to do so if you are audited. Please refer to Board Rule 156-5-.01(5) for further information. If you are randomly selected for an audit*, you must provide the Board with verification of your CE hours before your renewal will be processed.
*NOTE: A random number of licensees are selected for audit each renewal period. You are notified immediately of your random selection if you are renewing on-line. PLEASE complete the renewal process and pay the fee if you are selected for an audit. You will need to provide the documentation for the continuing education in the last 2 years to the Board offices at 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, Ga. 31217-3858.
Remember: Be sure to renew on time. Do not let your licensure lapse by accident!! Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.